Monday, December 01, 2008

Old Friends and Aquaintances

Old friends and acquaintances, wow what a thanksgiving surprise!

We went to MoRanch again this year for Thanksgiving. The weather was beautiful and we spent most of our time outside in the Hill Country sun. We did allot of walking, some fishing and the boys did some swimming in the Guadalupe River ( not me, too cold!).

My parents met us there and spent some nice time with the boys and my husband and I. We spent time visiting and walking and watching old movies of me as a young child. My boys really got a kick out of that. It is quite amazing how much my oldest son looks like I did at those ages. Especially when I was a pre-teen and early teenager. Unfortunately these movies are old and fading and my dad can't find many of the reels that he knows he took of me and my three sisters growing up. It was a great show for us and a great time to reminisce.

We also had the wonderful, but unexpected, opportunity to visit with some old friends. The pastor of the church that I attended throughout my youth was there with his wife and his 4 children and their families. I haven't seen any of them in at least 25 years! This man was an important influence in my life. He believed in me when I don't think I felt that anyone else did. He counseled me and reassured me and helped me to believe in myself. It was fun to meet up with his kids again. I was not close to any of them when I was younger. I am about 4 years older than his oldest son and they were closer to my younger sisters. Those years don't matter nearly as much as we grow into adulthood and have families of our own. It was good to catch up and hear what they are doing and make plans to keep in touch, I hope that we do.

2 comments:

Aunt Kathy said...

How wonderful to meet up with those from the past. I am sure you'll find a way to keep in touch

Alise said...

Happy New Year! Praying you have a blessed 2009!